Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Vamos...

Tomorrow I leave for Peru.

As I sit among the piles of clothes, books, travel documents, and my own personal pharmacy, I break from my packing and semi-anxious pacing to remember why I am going in the first place.

My supervisor’s instructions were extensive. He asked us to teach both in the local seminary as well as in the “Colegio Metodista”/Methodist High School. In the seminary, I am teaching a class called “Acompañamiento Pastoral de Jovenes”/Pastoral Accompaniment of Youth. He wants me to discuss ways to embody effective pastoral ministry with youth as we pursue goals and dreams for the life of the Church. In the high school, I am working within the topic of “El Reino de Dios y Justicia Social”/The Kingdom of God and Social Justice. I am so excited to begin learning from the people of Huancayo, but am anxious that they might be getting the short end of the stick by having me as their teacher. I pray that God will truly be in our midst, and that I we will recognize Jesus in each other's faces.


When I was in Peru last Spring, I learned what it felt like to truly feel the Spirit of God, and to recognize God in our midst in the "now", rather than after reflection. The simple words of Daniel Iverson’s hymn are my prayer today as I prepare for my journey:

Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
My prayer for this journey as that God's Spirit will move, and that I will be faithful enough to see how.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Steph,
Let us be the first to assure you that you are in our prayers daily.
We are pleased and grateful that you are in His service.
Love,
G&G