Thursday, May 17, 2007

Contribution in Canada

Well, after an hour and a half plane ride (indeed, my pilot had a lead foot!), I found myself in a very chilly Toronto last week. It is hard to believe that I am already here, fully immersed in one of the most profound experiences of my life -- living and working with the invisible, those with profound disabilities, those easily forgotten because they do not contribute to society.

This idea of contribution had me thinking yesterday on my day away. As I meandered through the Art Gallery of Ontario in downtown Toronto, I came across this painting titled "Woman in Bathtub" (Alex Colville). Between a still life of a jar of apricots and a portrait of Henry VIII (bringing horrible flashbacks of the English Reformation to mind!), lay this naked woman in a bathtub. The theology behind all of this? In short, this picture reminded me of Abigail*, one of the ladies that I live and work with here in L'Arche. Abigail has cerebral palsey, which means that she is unable to control her muscles or communicate verbally. She is known for her famous smile, however, by which we communicate. As such, this week I have been trained in the personal care of Abigail, to include how to bathe her.

As I stared at this painting, I couldn't help but think of how helpless Abigail is while in the bath. Whoever is assisting her is unable to turn away, for in a few brief moments alone she could slip down and drown. She requires constant attention, loving care, and gentleness. And, of course, she needs our help to be washed clean. And, as I looked at this woman in the bathtub, I couldn't help but think of the condition of humanity. How we, as people, are in need of someone to watch over us. Someone to give us constant attention, loving care, and grace. And, of course, to be washed clean from the sins that pollute our very being.

Perhaps the idea of contribution, woven into our societal obsession with progress and innovation, needs to be revisited with a different lens. For when we see ourselves from God's perspective, we realize that if our acceptance into the body of Christ is based on our contribution to the Almighty God, we are in trouble. Rather, God sees something valuable in each person, fearfully and wonderfully made. And with every breath, we all have a chance to contribute to bringing God glory, even if it isn't in the ways that we typically expect. Even if it is reflected in the care with which I wash Abigail's body. Even if it is reflected in the humility, surrender, and enviable trust that Abigail demonstrates towards God, and those who desire to serve God by serving her. I'm just so very grateful to be a part of this experience. Abigail, as well as the other members of this community, have contributed to my life and ministry in more ways that I could have ever expected or imagined. I only pray that I have something to offer this community that has already given me so much.

Believe me ... bathtime will never be the same.

*Name has been changed for privacy.

2 comments:

Stuart Harrell said...

Amey, what a beautiful post! May God continue to work through you!

Stephanie Lind, M.Div. '08 said...

You are wonderful. Thank you for your words. Thinking of Abigail* in the bathtub makes my cold Peruvian showers seem so much less inconvenient. I am so glad we are friends.