Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Little Things

el 15 de mayo, 2007

Today begins our third full day in Huancayo. After some drama with our flight on Thursday (a mechanical problem with the plane kept us from leaving in time to catch our connecting flight), we had to reschedule our flights for Friday, getting us safely to Lima Friday night. We were picked up by Gladys and Raul (the most wonderful Peruvian travel agents) at midnight and taken straight to our hotel to rest. On Saturday we rode from Lima to Huancayo for 7 and a half hours on a bus that went up over a n 18,000 foot peak and gradually down into the valley (about 10,000/11,000 feet) where Huancayo is nestled.

We spent Sunday morning in worship (about 3 hours), an afternoon of almuerzo (lunch) with the church community, and errand running with Cesar and family. The day ended in our cute little piso (apartment), with the sounds of the city accompanying my life here.

Since I arrived, I have been thinking about the little things that seem to make this experience so wonderful. The little things like seeing the smiling faces of Gladys and Raul as we sleepily wandered through customs into a crowd of strangers; the little things like the two tiny Dramamine pills that made the bus ride so much more bearable; the little things like being greeted by name in Huancayo--Cesar approached me saying, “Estefani?” to which I responded, “Cesar?”… we had a moment; the little things like meeting one of the students of the high school Sunday morning in worship whose name is Estefani, we bonded over our names; the little things like playing a made-up game with several children and a role of tape; the little things like the random heavy rain shower that caused a bunch of water to shoot through the window of the van into the face of my supervisor’s son, Diego (age 10), subsequently causing me to crack up to the point of tears. I love these little moments of peace, comfort and JOY that remind me that our lives would not be at all profound if it were not for the little things that tell our stories.

Yesterday, (Monday) was our first “official” meeting with our supervisor, Cesar, during which we talked about all of the things he hopes for our time here. The idea of teaching in this setting is intimidating, but also empowering. I pray that I can learn enough to be an effective teacher. Our classes at the seminary begin on Monday, May 21. I am teaching Monday nights from 6-7:30 and Thursdays from 6-9:15; my classes at the high school begin the same day in the afternoon.

Very soon, I will begin teaching in the high school about the Kingdom of God. Today I remembered that the Kingdom of God surely is found in the little things (the mustard seed, the leaven in the loaf, the friendly smile of a stranger, the rain). Don’t get me wrong. I’m not comparing the Kingdom of God to Dramamine. I am, however, recognizing that what is going to make this experience “theologically profound” are the little things that make each day one that glorifies God. I am excited to see how God will use the little things of tomorrow to make such a day!

1 comment:

Leah Skaggs said...

Glad you got there safely and are able to wax theological about motion sickness! You reminded me of VBS at Cedar Grove - they did "The Kingdom of God is Like..." for their vbs theme last year - if you are interested in setting up pen pals with the high schoolers - let me know! There may be some kids back here in NC who would be interested in connecting with some of your kids -