Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Simple Words

Hello Friends! First of all I must apologize for my lack of blog post. I have found that every bit of time I have allotted to blog has been taken over by an amazing conversation or a sudden turn in my plans, and I have to admit that I will have to submit to those surprises before I submit to the blog. Hopefully I can share those surprises along the way! I am now in Pinetown, South Africa and have been since Thursday! I was whisked away on a church family camp (family meaning church family) on Friday and got back on Sunday. It was a wonderful opportunity to meet people and understand the dynamics of the church a little bit. The folks on the trip were both black and white. The blacks being mostly Zulu and the whites being mostly from English descent. It was a weekend of firsts for the church, the first time they had done family camp, the first time they had a camp that was of mixed races, and the first time many people met each other, even though they went to the same church. Its interesting how different services can divide people but also interesting how weekends away can bring them together! More thoughts on this weekend later. One thing I did find striking was how often all of us had to use simple words in talking to one another. I befriend a little man named Stingo (4 yrs) and he spoke Zulu and would speak to me in Zulu like I knew what he was saying, it was rather funny. My only responses to him were simple words in English, like, "You are such a good boy!" or "You can run so fast" or "wow, you are swimming!". Although little was said it felt like much was being communicated in simple words. Every time I spoke with him he had the most amazing smile on his face, and the same when he spoke to me. It made me think about how much I talk and many times don't say anything! Overall in the area that I am in and the people that I have been surrounded by it seems that simple words, even among adults are common. I heard one woman tell another today, "good girl" when she heard of a mission project she was involved in. Simple words actually remind me of my grandmother who often would communicate in simple but meaningful words. She has always been so slow to speak and quick to listen. I believe this is how Jesus must be...slow to speak and eager to listen, and when he is listens he truly hears and when he speaks it is simple, yet sensational! May all of us in our complex new cultures find ways to use simple words!

No comments: