Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Kenya (Umoja Project)


                 It has been almost a week since I left the Land of Opportunity to go to a land of the the most welcoming and kind people on Earth! Right know, I am in Kisumu, Kenya to be part of this amazing this called Umoja Project.  
                 I don't really know where to start sharing about this amazing experience... I guess that I should start from the time that we arrived in Nairobi. Since we had a day to kill, Ellen, the director of the project got in contact with a friend who, at the same time, put us in contact with an amazing guy who served as a tour guide through the city. His name was Erasto. We visited nice places in the city and some of the not so nice places. In the beginning, I felt that it was not "nice" since I felt kind of insecure since we were walking through a ghetto-area of the city, but my fears flew away when a bunch of children came up to us shouting out with the cutest little voices, "How are you? How are you?"
                 I saw poverty, yes, and to be honest, I was not surprised. As a matter of fact, that is what people expect when they hear the word: Africa. But what not everybody knows is how rich the African people are in kindness and love for one another and especially for the little ones. In the few hours that we got to stay in Nairobi we spent time at a very humble school, where most of the teachers were volunteers and, along with education, they were offering lunch to the little ones. We also got the chance to talk with an artist who teaches the little ones how to paint and do artwork. The goal of both the school and the artist was to give the future of the country a skill set to survive and be something other than a burden on society. Most of these children and the future of the country are orphans, they have no family to take care of them, but what was extremely surprising to me was how eager the kids were to learn. I think we have something to learn here, I know that in the United States a lot of people help in their free time or with money, but these people give beyond what they have and take all the time needed to spend with the children.  
                  Once we were in Kisumu did I realize that Ellen, the director of the project, was a Rock Star! They call her Mama Ellen (or Hellen, since Ellen is not a common name for them); they show to her how grateful they are for the interest that the GIP (Global Interfaith Partnership) has for the future of the children. Nevertheless, they showed me the same love, they are so grateful that I decided to spend my time with them and, for them, that is so valuable. One of the pastors of North UMC in Indiana told me that, for the Kenyans, people who stay with them is like when the three men visited Abraham: he was so honored that he offered the best of what he had... Let me tell you, HERE THEY TREAT ME LIKE ONE OF THOSE MEN! But not because they think that I have something to give, but because it is in their own nature. 
                    Until now, I only got to visit a few schools, the real rodeo starts next week for me, but from what I see now, I don't know if I want to come back to the United States. I have fallen in love with these children, as I know you will when you see the pictures. 
Blessings from Kenya!!!!!

Federico Apecena
Duke Divinity School Intern
Umoja Project (Kenya)  

1 comment:

Emy said...

Hi Fede,
So happy to hear from you and all the joy you are experiencing.
Love you tons,
Many blessings,
Mama Emy