Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hermanas

Hi folks, I'm in Mexicali for international field Ed, along with Kristin Dollar. I'm reposting this from my personal blog, which you are welcome to read at:
Sarahewilcox.wordpress.com

In the Church we call one another “Hermana” and “Hermano” a lot (Sister/Brother). In a group address or a simple greeting, it’s typical to say “Hola hermana/o.” In the Spanish language, if there is one man present, it is proper to use the masculine form of address “Hermanos,” “Muchachos,” etc.

There is something special about being in a group of women, of sisters. I really appreciated attending the women’s bible study at Santísima Trinidad and hearing Maribel address us as “Hermanas.” This is the way we live here. Families are special, but every one in the church truly is treated as a family of God, and we say so out loud.

Cafecito
Cafecito is a special occasion at Santísima Trinidad where the women of the church gather over coffee and hear some one’s testimony. This Saturday I get to be that some one. I’m honored to share my own story with them, but I want to write about some some of the stories of the women I’ve met here…

IMG_0904

I hope to add more photos to this post, but for now I only have Victoria – the one in yellow. She’s with one of her sisters.

Victoria is one of our hosts. We live in the home, of which she oversaw the building and chose how each nook and cranny and window would look. She welcomed us and told us to treat her home like our own “con confianza.” She has a huge family and many friends, all of whom she welcomes under her roof. Kristin and I get some funny looks from visitors sometimes, but no one is surprised that Victoria is generously hosting us. Last week I tried to pay for our “rent,” and she gave me a strange look and asked, “What is this for?”
Victoria is an amazing cook, and she and Salvador own and operate a restaurant together. It has a shell of a bus for it’s roof, and their son Esteban, as well as various other family members joyfully and diligently work there.
Victoria has one of her breasts removed. I haven’t yet found the courage or occasion to ask her about it.
From a certificate of gratitude on her “refri” (fridge) I know that she donated the air conditioning units to her church, where Kristin works, Iglesia Del Divino Redentor.

Maribel
Maribel is another one of my hosts. She is Pastor Jacob’s wife, and every time we have a work day, she welcomes me into the lunch meal that her family shares. Usually Marisol (sister) and/or one of their brothers, in-laws, and nieces/nephews join us as well. Maribel’s Aunt Gloria also lives in the parsonage. She moved in when her sister (Maribel’s mother) died. Gloria and her sister had been best friends and did everything together.
Maribel is also essentially a co-pastor with Jacob, along with being an awesome mom and cook. She translated Jacob’s sermons until his Spanish was good enough for people to understand (He still speaks it in a Dutch accent). She preaches occasionally, teaches Bible study and sunday school, organizes the women’s group and hosts “cafecitos” (coffee time) in the parsonage.
My favorite Maribel moments are when she commands the dog Nikki in a very loud very Spanish voice, with lot’s of ‘rr’s “Métense de aquí, Nikki! RRRRápido!”

Damarís
Damarís is another of our hosts. She is Pastor Felipe’s wife, and you can read more of her story on Kristin’s blog, the post “Juntos”: Juntos

Patti
Patti immediately became my friend at Santísima Trinidad. I’ve never asked her age, but I think we’re close in age. I went to her Sunday school class (for children) on my first day at the church. She made sure I understood the lesson and even used me as an object lesson in teaching that the Holy Spirit brings people together. I sat with her during worship after Sunday school, and she walked me through everything, including helping me understand that I was supposed to be leading people in prayer.
As soon as I said I was a dancer and had taught dance Patti invited me to teach for her Sunday school group. It’s been very fun. Patti is very creative and is bold in sharing when I invite the group to choreograph. She is great with children, a strong teacher of Scripture and the Christian life, and is very encouraging to me. When I see her she always smiles and welcomes me with a hug and a “Dios te bendiga” (God bless you).

Aurora
In many ways it is not fair to put Aurora at the end of this long post. I could write about her for days. My first pastoral visit alongside Jacob was to her home. I was nervous, but I immediately felt welcomed by her smile and bright eyes, which speak her wisdom, faith, and love, even when I can’t understand her words. She comes to Santísima more than once a week, but she can’t come to everything because she cares for Romano, her husband, who is bed-ridden.
In Romano’s room there is a handwritten sign that says “Cristo es mi roca y mi fortaleza” (Christ is my rock and my strength), which is certainly evident in Aurora’s life and care for not only her husband, but all her family.
During our visit I learned that Romano can’t speak very much. Neither can he move very much. He needs assistance changing his position in the bed. I learned that he used to own a ranch where he tended goats because he sometimes tells us he is going to get out of bed to go to work. He has been unable to go to work for some time and unable to go to church in the past few months. Aurora is his everything right now.
Romano asked for water. Neither Jacob nor I couldn’t understand his words, but Aurora did. When she brought him the glass of water she had to bend over him, lift his head, and hold the water to his lips. As she did so, she said, “A ver, mi hijo” (Here, my child). My heart at once overflowed with joy for her love for him and broke for the drastic change in their relationship. In health the love of matrimony; in sickness that of mother and child. Aurora loves Romano with faith and patience.
At one point during our visit Romano didn’t recognize Aurora. She was standing at the end of the bed, and he asked us, “Dónde está (Where is) Aurora?” Aurora responded in a calm voice, as she always does, “Yo soy” (I’m she)… “No me conoces?” (You don’t know me?).
In our second visit (Jacob goes once a week owing to Romano’s health), Jacob asked me to close us in prayer over Romano. I knelt in humility and reverence at Romano’s bedside and prayed in (I think) a compassionate tone. Afterward Rubén, Aurora and Romano’s son thought I should have prayed more fervently – you must pray for a miracle. Aurora again responded in her faithful, wise, and unflustered voice, “Día con día yo veo los milagros de Dios” (Day by day I see the miracles of God).
I am learning from every one here, and I already have love for the entire church of Santísima Trinidad, but Aurora is always the person I’m most overjoyed to see.

I am thankful to learn from the strong, loyal, faithful women in this church. I am humbled that they welcome me, not only in their worship and bible study spaces, but also in their homes and in the profoundest joys and hurts of their selves and their families.

No comments: