Friday, June 25, 2010

Tentmakers in Kenya

Kathy Randall: Grail Centre, Daraja Mbili, Kenya
This past week I have lived in a community house of lay women who have
taken a vow to live in community and service. The week didn't begin so
well, because I was ill, but then I revived, and was able to learn
exactly where I was and how they do their work and service.
One of their services to the community is a community college,
basically a technical school. There they offer courses in basic
instruction in computer use, tailoring and dressmaking, and motorbike
maintenance. These courses are offered at a low cost to the
surrounding rural community, students who have found that they need
further skills before they can enter the workforce.
I met with the computer class yesterday. All the students have
completed secondary school, so they are fluent in English. We talked
about life skills, integrity, and what to do as an upright citizen in
a corrupt system. They were good to talk to, and once I had been
speaking for a while they really opened up to conversation.
The man who teaches tailoring is also an interesting person. I had
asked about getting a dress made, and he was the one recommended. So I
went to meet Simon.
Simon has been partnering with the Grail for 3 years, as a teacher to
those learning tailoring. He told me how much fabric I needed, and
where to get it in Kisumu. Then I brought the material in, and he
proceeded to make me my Kitenge. My traditional Kenyan dress. It looks
great.
After he had made it, I continued to speak to him. Simon is not only a
tailor and a teacher, but he also is a pastor in training. We spoke
about our calls to ministry, and were able to encourage each other in
our pursuit of our respective calls. As I was leaving, I told him he
was like Paul, a tentmaker, or tailor, who also spreads God's word.

No comments: