Thursday, June 21, 2007

Come for Supper!

So! Last weekend, I made a fabulous, jet-setting trip (read: my flight was rebooked, I heard my name in the airport multiple times as I almost missed connections, and when switched to another airline, my luggage was oh-so-conveniently lost) back to DC and "the" Universityfor a dear friend's wedding weekend. Though many of us haven't seen each other in some time, we all came together from around the country to gather and celebrate the love, laughter, friendships, and blessings of our lives. It was so refreshing to spend time with the girls, and feel so instantly at ease and at home with folks I just don't get to see much anymore, but who I love all the same ... Not to mention, I'm realizing how important REST and RESPITE are to the daily life of a minister (or any human being, for that matter!). Sometimes we just get into a rhythm and go go go, not realizing we need a break or vacation until we arrive there. Only in the last week or so has the work here at L'Arche gotten to be just a bit tiring (okay ... exhausting), so I am glad that the opportunity for self care presented itself and I capitalized on it!

After such a great reunion of friends, it was completely to my surprise that when I arrived back in Canada, I found a very special note waiting for me!




"Amey Come For Supper Love Linda." Haha ... this gives new meaning to the idea of making one's requests known! Let me explain a bit ... Linda is a wondeful, energetic, joyful woman who lives in one of the L'arche houses down the street. She visits Corner House (my home) every Tuesday for supper. For whatever reason, Linda has taken quite a liking to me and is very insistent that I come spend time with her (how sweet!) She works with Leah, an MTS student at Duke, and always asks when Leah's "sister" is coming (ahem ... this is me, though Leah and I are opposite in appearance in almost every way!). Whenever we see each other at a L'Arche gathering or in passing, she invites me to sing and dance and spend time with her ... For Linda, there is something very critical about relationship and bonding that is connected to sharing a meal and communing with one another. It is important enough to write a note (my name is even spelled correctly! wow!), a brief but direct letter to make sure I knew I was invited, welcomed, and wanted for dinner.
I cannot tell you (a) how completely hilarious this was, knowing Linda's buoyant personality, or (b) how deeply touching this was. I had just spent a crazy weekend in the States being reminded that the concept of "home" is rooted in relationship, in community, in knowing and being known, in loving and being loved. With nostalgia and the comfort of being "home" with close friends in hand, I returned to the Corner House to find myself, once again, at home ... fully welcome, deeply missed, and truly loved. Moreover, to find myself among amazing people I now call friends who I never expected to be so close to!

My invitation reminded me of the words in Revelation: "Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me." (3:20). How many opportunities to dine together, with God or the people of God, do we miss every day? Christ invites us daily to "come for supper," to be filled with daily bread, to feed others along our way. Do we take the invitation seriously? Do we realize the sign of love and relationship that supper represents? The pace of life here at L'Arche is so different from the rushed and hectic pace of life in the "real world," and it has slowed me down enough to be grateful for the smallest of moments in the days. L'arche has shown me the beauty of sharing life together, and made so clear the reality that communion/community/relationship are at the heart of what it means to be the people of God. I'm just grateful not to be so wrapped up in the sounds of society to miss the gentle knocking of Christ upon my heart through this experience.
May we all take a moment to enjoy the abundant feast of life before us, and share our joys and gifts on this journey. Take time for God, take time for self, and take time to "Come for supper ..." Oh! And as for Linda, we have a dinner date planned next week ... I can't wait!

Linda with Talia and Donna at Corner House.

No comments: