Monday, June 11, 2012

Hello from Hillcrest!

Hello fellow Duke Div international voyagers! I cannot believe I've already been in South Africa for two and a half weeks! Time flies when you're having fun, that's for sure. There's SO much I can share, but I'll try to keep it to a short overview. Last week I visited a creche (kind of like a day care or a preschool) out in the really rural areas (which are only like 15 minutes from my church). The Women's Auxiliary (what we Methodists would call United Methodist Women) at my church saved up money to buy bulks of fabric to make track suits for kids in these rural areas. They made like 300 or so track suits for the kids in these areas so that they will have some warm clothes this winter. Last week they had a track-a-thon to sew all of the outfits, and I have to say delivering them was one of the best things I've done recently. Even though I couldn't even communicate with the kids other than saying hi and how are you (Zulu is tough to learn!), I would help them get dressed in the track suits and you could just see the gratitude on their faces. Many of them would give me a huge hug afterwards--it was so sweet! It was an absolutely wonderful day! I've spent a lot of my time working at the Hillcrest AIDS Center, which is a non-profit founded by a former pastor of Hillcrest Methodist Church, where I'm working. Working at the AIDS Center is both heartbreaking and beautiful. On Friday, I walked in to see a woman sobbing next to her niece, who looked like she couldn't have been older than 15. She was incredibly emaciated, and unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if she passes away before I go back later this week. I've learned that KwaZulu-Natal is the only province in SA that has had a negative birth rate over the past few years due to AIDS, so it's definitely a bit difficult here. I prayed with some patients and changed everybody's water pitchers in the respite unit, which is where all of the terminal patients are. I'm really enjoying being in ministry there, but it certainly takes a lot out of me emotionally. Our district of churches (also called a circuit) has partnered with the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Kansas (Adam Hamilton's church) and COR has helped plant 7 churches in our circuit. I got to visit to one of them as we prayed over it and now officially be worshipping there. The one lady who is the head of the Manyana (the name for the Women's Auxiliary in the black Methodist churches) couldn't get over the fact that I was a unfondise (meaning minister in Zulu). She was just so excited--it was so sweet. I'm going to go worship with them in a few weeks. Additionally, I'm helping plan a conference that will take place with our circuit and members from Church of the Resurrection in July, right before I leave. There have been a bunch of conference calls and organizing going on for that--it's been super busy! But thankfully I've had a lot of experience planning conferences with my job at Winthrop (back in the day before I was a seminary student), and everyone is super happy that I'm helping out with this because I'm helping tie a lot of loose ends that they have overlooked. So everything is superb so far! Can't wait to read all of the updates from y'all!!! grace&pace, Megan

No comments: