Thursday, July 9, 2009

Graceful Speech. (Tiffany Thomas: Maceio, Brazil)





But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. – Jeremiah 1:7 & 8

No one can deny the vast importance of speaking in ministry. From Sunday morning sermons, Wednesday night bible studies, pastoral counseling, ministry is seemingly centered on the ability to speak. I accepted my call to ministry at the age of fifteen. From the moment I articulated my call to ministry, I have worked in the church. I began teaching bible studies, preaching, and leading the youth group at the age of fifteen. I became a licentiate preacher at the age of 19. Over the years, I have been trained in the art of speaking. I have been trained to work with words as an artist works with paint. Ministry, for me, equated to always having the right thing to say.

Going abroad to Brazil has shattered my very arrogant concept of ministry. As the spoken language is Portuguese and I only understand enough of it to get by, I seem to never have the right thing to say. My syntax, grammar, sentence structure would make a toddler laugh. I scramble for words like a middle school adolescent scrambles for her books when she has fallen down the stairs: hurriedly, embarrassed, and ashamed. I have never been so afraid and anxious at the thought of speaking. But speak I must. Despite the language deficiency, I have come to Brazil to do ministry. I have come to establish relationships and to be a part of a religious community. I must speak! So I speak. I struggle for words; I use my hands; I keep a dictionary in-hand. But I speak.

This experience of working very hard to communicate has taught me that communication is not based solely on words, but also on love and on grace. I marvel at how many people I have gotten to know, home many beautiful conversations I have had, despite my lack in language. Communication is taking place, not because of my profound way with words, but because of the love of the people who are patient with me, and the grace of God that provides all of us with understanding. This experience has humbled me immensely. It has taught me to put more trust in God’s grace, rather than my own abilities.

No comments: