Friday, July 25, 2008

Learning & Loving in South Africa


I have learned much about seeing God in every situation. I have realized that God is not limited to my beliefs about Him. I have never thought of myself as one who puts God in a box, but I have come to realize that some of the “rules” and traditions that I have abided by have constricted me to believe in a big God who works within a big box. God has shown me that He is so much bigger than my mind and preconceived notions allow Him to be, and that He is not by any means limited to work in the ways that I associate with being right. I have undeniably experienced God working in ways which some may deem as unorthodox, and rightly so. I have come to believe that our theological ideas of orthodoxy are quite different from what God deems as orthodox. Although I believe that orthodoxy is theologically necessary for us, I have been awakened by the fact that God does not only work in the midst of orthodoxy, His presence and power can be found where heresy and apostasy are present. God does not need orthodoxy—although He works within it, He also works without it. Since God is sovereign He manages to even use the unorthodox to glorify His name. My semi-tightly woven theology has slowly been unraveling to make more room for a God that cannot be contained by man's doctrines and ideals. So, maybe it is not right to say God is unorthodox, but it is better to say that God is not limited to our ideals of orthodoxy. My mind and heart have become more open to the way the Spirit of God works in this world. There is more of an acknowledgment and acceptance of God's mystery that is at work. So, in whom did I meet Jesus during this stay? I met Him in the relativists, heretics, Pharisees, and the drunkards. Praise be unto our God who has revealed Himself in mighty ways, taught me more about Him here in South Africa and who shall forever graciously be destroying the boxes that I attempt to force Him into.

No comments: