Thursday, June 5, 2008

Preparando (Getting ready)

Two months ago, my wife (Stephanie) and I (Daniel) never would have imagined that we would be packing up and going to Peru for the summer.  When I walked into the office to find out where we would be this summer, I was startled to hear that we were being asked to go to South America for the summer.  After considering this possibility, we could see how God had been preparing us for this opportunity.  Just this past year I had been asked to do an internship with Spanish-speaking children at La Estrella Resplandeciente.  In the internship, I was able to learn from Pastor Lucho Reinoso, who is from Peru and taught me about Latin American diversity and cultures, from the the volunteers, and from the children, who taught me how to listen and not assume that I know what they are feeling or experiencing.  Also, I was given the opportunity to improve my oral and auditory Spanish proficiency.   Moreover, Stephanie and I became friends this past year with a couple at our church, one of whom is Peruvian and just moved to the States.  Needless to say, the offer of a placement into Peru opened a window into a portion of God's desires.  

Seeing God's hand throughout our two month preparation, we have been blessed with wonderful mentors and prayerful friends and family.  We are excited to leave in a few days to see what God has in store for us to learn, the relationships God will orchestrate, the ways God will use us.  Only God knows what will happen. 

1 comment:

Kevin Todd, MDiv. '09 said...

Daniel and Stephanie,
I hope that your time in Peru is going well. We are very excited for you both and this great opportunity. We can't wait to hear more about how your trip is going! You're in our prayers,

-Kevin