Tuesday, July 10, 2007

We had CHURCH.

This past Sunday morning we celebrated the 13th anniversary of our little church. The people spent the weekend with each other, but Sunday was the big day. Last week, at the end of the service, we planned the food schedule for the weekend. Each of us committing to bring something to contribute to the meals so that the church would not be stressed financially by the weekend. I brought disposable plates on Saturday, and Sunday, I brought a chicken. Yes, an actual entire chicken (already dead), but head, feet, intestines and all. It was a first for me. I walked to church with chicken in tow, giggling with Meredith along the way about the fact that I was currently carrying a chicken carcass.

When we arrived, Cesar was teaching Sunday school and there were lots of visitors listening to what he had to say. We knocked on the door of the kitchen and our friend let us in. I was so surprised when I walked into the kitchen because there behind the table of chopped up vegetables and the other 5 or 6 whole chickens was a MAN in an apron and a chef’s hat. Another man was helping him, along with two young women. I have been going to this church for about two months now, and before Sunday, never saw a man in the kitchen.

He invited us in, told us to sit, and gave us bread and tea. Then they told us stories of snakes in the jungle and other adventures. It was a great way to start the day.

The culto (worship service) began while we were chatting, so we snuck out of the kitchen and found a seat in the crowded little storefront church. The culto included children singing, young people presenting what they learned in Sunday school, the young adults leading the congregational singing, a sermon by the District Superintendent, more singing, lots of praying and a benediction by a woman (which is a big deal).

I spent the majority of the service with tears in my eyes, wishing that I had more time here, and knowing that God was really there with us. After the service we had a HUGE meal (the typical Peruvian sized lunch), and some good fellowship. We had CHURCH.

As I was leaving I thanked the chef for his work, kissed so many cheeks, and went to say goodbye to Cesar. I asked him as I was walking out who this man was who was cooking for us today. He said, “Oh, Estefani, He is new. He came up to me a few days ago and said, ‘I know how to cook… why don’t you let me help?’” I stood dumbfounded for a minute, Cesar laughed at me and said, “I was surprised, too, but what a gift. God is good.”

No comments: